Importance of Basic Sciences and Humanities in Engineering
Significance of Sciences & Humanities in Engineering
Humanities, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry are the basic Subjects learnt by a student in school and Intermediate courses. Engineering students must have basic Understanding of these subjects. These subjects offered in their first year of engineering and it is common for all the branches of engineering. These subjects forms a bridge between basic sciences and engineering.
Engineering courses like CE, EEE, ME, ECE, CSE and IT need the basics of these subjects directly or indirectly. Significance of these subjects in various branches are discussed below
ECE & EEE
- Electronics is nothing but branch of applied physics, application of basic physics principles and their application in the real world . Good knowledge of basic sciences is use full to understand the structure, electrical & chemical properties of materials like conductor semi conductor and insulator. Physics helps ECE & EEE students to understand the working principle of electronic and electrical devices. Fabrication of electronic and electric devices, knowledge of physics and chemistry helps to choose the suitable material and its physical properties respectively.
- Nanotechnology is emerging trends technology by which nano-tubes (CNT) are used for electronic communication. These nano-tubes can be synthesized in bulk through chemical synthesis only. Chemical vapor deposition method is used for the fabrication of VLSI IC’s where n+ electrons are induced into the silicon wafers. Electronic sensors and Bio-sensors are available for various detecting or diagnosing purposes. To fabricate/ design a sensor or bio-sensor one must have knowledge of basic sciences. Especially in bio-sensor, an electronic device receives signal only through the chemical reactions.
- Now a days there is a great research on conducting polymers, which have several advantages and applications over traditional silicon based materials. To design or fabricate a device an electronics engineer must have fundamentals of sciences then only he/she can select a right material for that particular purpose. Display systems are well developed, we have LCD’s and LED’s etc. In LCD i.e liquid crystal display, liquid crystals are nothing but organic molecules. To study LCD how it is working and how the properties can be enhanced on must know the concepts of physics and chemistry.
- Day to day consumption of electricity is being increased; accordingly we should plan to meet the demands. From this view photo voltaic cells being developed to get the electricity in a conventional way. Many countries are concentrating on the production, fabrication of solar cells and their related material to get efficient and low cost solar panels. One should have knowledge of physics and chemistry to invent or discover a efficient material for the fabrication of solar cells.
- Batteries are widely use in various electronic devices all over the world. Now there is a great research on battery materials to increase the efficiency & the backup, reduction in weight, volume and its cost etc. Battery materials are mainly anode, cathode and electrolyte. To choose a material for a battery, basics of science is mandatory.
- Not only the above said points, but also many a number of applications in the field and research, basic sciences and R&D in sciences plays a significant role in the developments in ECE & EEE at present and in coming future.
Mechanical and Civil Engineering
- The pillars of Mechanical and Civil engineering were made by the basic sciences. A mechanical engineer must know material science that comprises of physic and chemistry, properties of metal and alloys, composition of alloys, its stability, reactivity etc that are related to chemistry. Without a fuel no machine or vehicle runs, the efficiency, quality and other properties of a fuel can be studied only by chemistry. In research of finding a new, suitable and efficient fuel.
- Lubricants are necessary to reduce the friction between two metal surfaces when they are in contact with each other. A mechanical engineer must know the suitable lubricant for that purpose at their environment. To know the nature and properties of a lubricant knowledge of physics and chemistry is necessary.
Like that many of the things related to chemistry must be known by the In particular to Civil Engineering also has a great significance of basic sciences. It starts from the manufacture of cement, making of concrete, selection of material for reinforcement. Chemistry of setting and hardening of cement, decides the stability of it. To meet the challenges and requirements of civil engineer for a construction can be made on the basis of chemical reactions occurring in the materials incorporated. Now a day’s many a varieties of ceramics and refectories are available, to meet the manufacturing of a required ceramics or refractory for suitable purposes, one must have the knowledge of these basic sciences. To select a place or area for a construction, a civil engineer must analyses the nature and properties of the soil. Soil analysis must be done and to understand it knowledge of chemistry is must. Even water analysis has to be done at that area to understand the interactions between the construction and the surrounding which may be soil or water. To know and develop the upcoming technologies in civil engineering in a better way.
CSE & IT
Computers have found their entry into every field now-a-days and this computerization needs software that should be developed by a computer engineer. There are many a number of software being used in the field of sciences either in research or in analysis. Software is required to interpret the data obtained from the experiments of research to get the output, it may be in the form of graphs. If a software engineer has the fundamentals of chemistry, it is easy to him/her to develop software to the required task. Some software packages are being developed for designing new molecules. Before going to do the practical work in chemistry, now we can guess or estimate the final result using simulation software. Simulation software helps to know the getting possibilities for the final result which reduces the time taken for the chemical process, reduces the waste of chemicals which also reduces the pollution etc. To design and develop simulation software, software professional must have the knowledge on Mathematics. For the development of super computers, one must have knowledge on Maths and statistics.
English Importance and Significance to B. Tech
- The Department of English strives to work hard on academic along with communicative approach in our curriculum where the communication skills is the course ingredient of student career
- Communication skill enhances employability through various methods including soft wares for ELCS and AECS labs. The learning is interactive and Multimedia based.
- The department also stress on soft skills along with overall development of each individual for better employability skills which boostsup the confidence level of the students
- The department strives to achieve the vision of Application based learning where each individual blooms as an flower from a bud.